Monday, November 17, 2008

Moderation

I try to live my life as moderately as possible. To weight the two extremes, and sometimes more, of any option or choice, and find out where I fit in the middle. Whether it be the prose that I write, the clothes that I wear, or the way I carry myself, I try to avoid too much.

A few years ago I realized how overly complicated my life was, and since then I have been figuring out where I as a person fall in this massive gradient of complexity. I have since come to the conclusion that my personality is complicated enough, and thus, my spiritual, emotional and "real" life need to be less complex.

I am really happy to say that I have been very successful with this endeavor. Spiritually, I'm really no longer confused. I once thought that the outlet for my passions was the faith, and that I, was a single passionate person in a sea of dispassionate people. I came to a few realizations of how backwards this thinking is, and have since been the happiest and healthiest me in my life. Who would have thought that spending two years on yourself would actually work out.

Emotionally, well lets just say that I am the closest to my feelings I have been. I'm not naive enough to think that I can control them, but I know how to deal with them in a positive manner. How to recognize them, come to terms with them and finally express them. Whether it is realizing how much you cherish your little sister, and making it clear to her that you do, or expressing feelings of abandonment after a breakup-- I am really happy to say that things just can't get me down anymore. See spirituality. hahaha

As for real life, this was the hardest thing to simplify. Often, one can simply walk into a room, see the clutter and as such, see the complexity in another persons life. The way a person dresses, the way they walk or talk, or even the way they carry themselves can show you how complex their life is. I came to the conclusion that complexity is only as important as what it supports. If you have a family, your life should be complex. Extra people result in more complexity. Likewise with a house, a dog, etc. Often times we crave this complexity as a way of growth. However, I for one realized how superfluous much of the complexity in my life was. So I simply removed it. Its been hard, and really, I've spent so much time at friends houses because I couldn't be at my house. Spent so much time writing about how tired I was of my present life, so change was pretty easy.

Now, I have school, a job, a room without a desk that is completely organized, a guitar, a laptop, many books, a bed, a car, and bahai activities. Of course things get more complex when you think of all the different minutiae of each of these subjects, BUT, the point is that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

Simply put, the complete peace that I can so easily attain in my life now, are worth the sacrifices. Growth as a human being is no longer hard for me. If I need to change, or work on some aspect of myself, I simply do. The day is filled with times for enjoyment and happyness. From the moment I spend looking out to the tree in the parking lot at work, to the time spent walking around the beautiful campus I go to school on.

Life is full of beauty and enjoyment, we just have to slow down enough to see it, to feel it. Those perfect moments are out there, all you have to do is grab them.

I am a collector of perfect moments.

No comments: