Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Son of Man

Who am I but a road.
Weathered and traveled.
Cracked and worn.
Through each town I go,
Seeing things to see.
Finding truth in love.
Finding truth in pain.
Finding humanity in humility.
Remembrance of who I might of been.
Who I have seen myself be:
On the outside looking in.
From dirt to pavement,
Cobblestone bruises.
The minds eyes sees things,
The heart's what chooses.
Mind over matter.
The body will pass,
I hold onto hunger,
I hold through the fast.
Rhyme upon rhyme,
Heaped up like promotions.
Take this and that,
Nic-Nac's and lotion.
Clutter feels nice,
But clarity is better.
I'd been so much further,
If not for the weather.
Summer sun wields me,
The surfer kids tan.
Soccer in sunshine.
Feet, grass, and white leather.
Check marks and checkmate,
Time beats down the stalemate.

The path that I was,
The road that I am.
The soul travels through it.
I run and I run.
My parents ran from Iran.
Through mountains and forests,
Through Snow through the land.
The treacherous faces,
Engulfed in the night.
Waiting for Sun,
Waiting for light.
Escape for a new life,
Escape for a son.
Escape for a daughter,
Escape from home.

And so like my parents,
I've tried this one out.
Strength of my mother,
Love of my father,
Trust of my sister,
Hope from a stranger.
To feel loved is to feel,
To feel needed is to love.
To travel this road,
To make it above,
And beyond that I was,
To make something better,
No matter my color,
No matter the weather.
No matter my feelings,
No matter my pain.
No matter I loose,
No matter I gain.
Repeat and repeat,
Refrain and Refrain,
Bridge through the song,
And so say His Name.
So that which I was,
And that which I am,
Are different,
But both are still,
The Son of Man.

No comments: