Sunday, February 8, 2009

An actually finished peice - Evening Tides

I set out each eventide,
Walking the path through scent laden allies,
And noise filled tenement blocks.
I look up at the buildings as if to determine
Which windows are gateways to new worlds?
And which are simply empty.
Those vacant memories warm me with their sunshine--
They are a vapid tendril of some truth I am yet to know.
I am ever hopeful that the new homeowners
Might have better luck then their neighbors.
These vacant windows-
They are the placeholders at some great meal,
At some great judgment,
Of which I bring myself to account each day—
Hoping to take the edge off of consequences
Of the inhabitants of these tenement blocks.
Hoping to save them from a little bit of that misery they already know.

The streets are still swimming with meandering scenes
Waiting to be fulfilled
By the everyday players
Of this—our greatest play.
Or to rephrase:
The only play showing in town.
As this walk turns into a trot,
And this trot into a canter,
And this canter races the very waves of the
Moonlit tide which wash away the transgressions
Of the day.
I grab my surfboard and go for a ride among the stars.
Ever mindful of the Orion and his nasty temper.
As I take a drink from the Big Dipper,
I return to places long forgotten:
Simultaneously the events reenact themselves
As my hands begin trembling,
And my heart starts to pound.
This eventide comes with a terrifying truth:
The shark is lurking.
His teeth pearly white,
His eyes a placid grey,
And his smile--
His smile is ever enticing.
Fear is always inviting.
Especially when one is running.
And as he lunges through black steely water,
With the terrifying speed of thought,
I can do nothing but turn around and leap toward him,
With naught but a smile on my face,
And love in my heart.
That city of mind, heart and soul is to large.
Its foundations set too deeply into the blood my palms,
And the sweat of my brow.
I am too much to be devoured by
The darkness lurking in the shadows of the glassy blue night.
For I am fueled by the light of The Word.
I cannot be devoured,
For my soul belongs to He.

No comments: